Daily Fantasy Recommendations for the Travelers Championship
After a wild and crazy week in New York for the U.S. Open (yes, golf can get ‘wild’ and ‘crazy’ sometimes), the Tour moves to Connecticut this week for the Travelers Championship.
Unlike after the Masters, when most of the big names took some time off, the Travelers will have some marquee names for you to fill your daily fantasy roster with.
Before diving into an examination of what some of those options may be…
How about a little information about the course and weather?
The Travelers Championship is held at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Connecticut, a small suburb south of Hartford. It is a par-70 course that is 6,844 yards long.
As for the weather, things could end up getting a little messy before the weekend is finished. The tournament will start out with a decent day on Thursday (71 degrees, partly cloudy, 7 MPH winds, and 20 percent chance of rain). Friday is expected to be a little cooler but should make for a better day for golf (68 degrees, clear skies, 9 MPH winds, 0 percent chance of rain).
But then it gets a little dicey over the weekend. Saturday currently has a 60 percent chance of rain and 10 MPH winds (70 degrees). Sunday is expected to be 75 degrees and only a 20 percent chance of rain. But winds could hit upwards of 14 MPH (and partly cloudy skies).
The U.S. Open messed with the heads of many of the best golfers in the world last week—including last year’s Travelers Championship winner, Jordan Spieth. I didn’t recommend him last week, and he proved me right. But I’m going to change course this week and say he’s worth a shot (at the right price).
Spieth has not had a great year. The two rounds he played at Shinnecock were not good by any means. You could put some of the blame on the course, but in the end, it is up to the golfer to make things happen. Spieth made nothing happen.
But guys like him are going to bounce back eventually. They will find their stroke and make you glad you are a fan—or that you started him on your daily fantasy roster. He led the Travelers last year wire to wire.
I don’t see him doing that well this year. But I could see him having a daily fantasy-worthy kind of day.
A few other guys will likely be out for redemption as well.
- Rory McIlroy: He’s had an up and down year. After missing the cut last week, he could be in line for an ‘up’ this week. He finished last year’s Travelers with a 64 on Sunday, so we know he can play the course.
- Jason Day: After missing the cut at the U.S. Open with a score of plus-12 for the first two days, he will definitely be looking for redemption. He missed the cut last year, but he’s due to have another good tournament. When he has good ones, they are really good (two wins, tied for 2nd, tied for 5th).
- Justin Thomas: Unlike a lot of stars, he made the cut at the Open last week, but didn’t exactly have a great day (tied for 25th; 12-over for the tournament). Or you could look at it as his 15th consecutive tournament finishing in the top 25. When you are that consistent, you break through every so often and have a great day.
These guys I would consider sleeper picks:
- Daniel Berger: He’s not exactly a household name, he’s played some not-so-good golf this year, but occasionally he plays some great golf—like he did last week at the U.S. Open (tied for 6th). He also finished in second last year at the Travelers, so we know he can play this course.
- Xander Schauffele: Like Berger, he tied for 6th last week at the U.S. Open. He missed the previous two cuts (Memorial and Forth Worth) but then tied for second at the Players Championship.
- Webb Simpson: It almost doesn’t seem right to call him a sleeper. He did win the Players Championship and has six top ten finishes to his name. But he didn’t have a bad tournament last week (tied for tenth) like a lot of guys. So, maybe he’ll be undervalued since he’s had a good but quiet season.
YOUR DRAFTKINGS COMPETITIONS
NFL & PGA Lineup Buildeer.
Join today and receive instant access to handpicked fantasy players for all NFL & PGA DraftKings Linesups. Start outscoring your competition and learn the strategies to become a daily fantasy guru.