DK Live Feed
Build Your Lineup

NFL SPECIAL

Save 50% on all packages.

NFL2018

JOIN TODAY

NFL SPECIAL

Save 50% on all packages.

Use Code

NFL2018

Build Your Winning Lineup

Use our lineup builder to create your winning lineup for DrafKings & FanDuel.

Get Started

Shop Our DK Gear

View Our Shop

Daily Fantasy Recommendations for the WGC Bridgestone Invitational

By GolfGuru - 1 year ago in PGA News

After spending the last couple weekends out of the country, the PGA Tour returns to the U.S. this week. The action this week will be at the Firestone Country Club in Akron, Ohio. But it will not be the usual slate of golfers.

This week, since it’s an ‘invitational’ there will only be 73 golfers to choose from—including the entire top 50 in the world– for your daily fantasy team. But before diving into an examination of some of the options…

How about a little information about the course and weather?

The players will be playing the South Course at the Firestone Country Club. It is a par-70 course that is 7,400 meters long.

It’s been a bit toasty in recent weeks in the Midwest, but that does not appear to be the case for the Bridgestone Invitational. Temperatures are expected to be in the mid to high 70s each of the four days. Saturday is the only day expected to have clear skies. The rest are either going to be cloudy or mostly cloudy.

There will be a chance of rain every day starting with a 30 percent chance on Thursday. It drops to 20 percent on Friday and Saturday. But then jumps up to 50 percent on Sunday.

It could get ugly out there, but hey—no one said it was going to be easy.

The Players

A case could be made for including last year’s champion, Hideki Matsuyama. He’s not having a bad year having made the cut in 11 of the 14 events he’s played in. He missed the cut at the British Open and Players Championship. But between them, he finished t16, t13, and t16.

He hasn’t been bad but this week I think there are too many good options to consider going with an alright one.

Tiger Woods: Come on—how can you not go with Tiger this week? The stars are aligned for him to get that first elusive win of his comeback. He’s still not playing as good as we’d like him to play. But he could play well enough to win if everything goes right. He’s certainly going to be in the perfect place; one where he’s won eight times.

wgc bridgestone

It’s been about five years since his last win. Will he finally get one? You don’t want to be the one guy who didn’t start him if he does.

Justin Rose: He’s like Tiger in that he should know this course like the back of his hand. After all, the man has only played it 12 times. He’s finished inside of the top five on four occasions but never in first. He’s playing very well right now having finished t2, t10, t6, and in first his last four times out.

Dustin Johnson: It almost feels like cheating to suggest him since he is coming off a win and is the No. 1 golfer in the world. But he did win here just a couple years ago. However, it is also worth noting that in his seven other trips his best finish was t15.

Rory McIlroy: I know he’s supposed to be one of the best in the world. But whenever I think about starting him he tends to tank. But I think I’m starting him this week. It bugs me that he’s missed four cuts this season but there is no cut line this week. That being said, he’s fresh off finishing t2 at the British Open.

He appears to be playing well right now and could be worth a start.

Jordan Spieth: This is the only guy I would say don’t start. I know he’s a good golfer and good golfers are bound to break out of their slumps.  But I’m not confident he’ll do it this week or anytime soon. He may give you three really good rounds but that last one on Sunday will kill you.

Dark Horse Options: Tommy Fleetwood, Xander Schauffele, Thorbjørn Olesen, and Bubba Watson.

NFL SPECIAL
SAVE 50% ON ALL PACKAGES

ALL SPORTS. ALL ACCESS.
ONE MEMBERSHIP.

Join today and receive instant access to handpicked fantasy players for all Daily Fantasy Sports. Start outscoring your competition and learn the strategies to become a daily fantasy guru.